An outspoken opponent of gay marriage
She never fathomed she'd end up on TV almost daily, smack in the middle of the war zone over gay marriage. In , he admitted to filing false claims to the police, saying he had been threatened because of his race and sexuality.
March 22, PM ET. Politics Local D. The news and stories that matters, delivered weekday mornings.
Examines gay men s self image
- In the summer of , the U. Don't Tell Me!
- In interviews, several said they would not hold hands in public.
- Several historians, including Jennifer Denetdale, a member of the Navajo Nation Human Rights Commission and a professor at the University of New Mexico, assert that gay and transgender people have long been part of tribal society, typically holding positions of great respect. Her client, Julie Begaye, 54, lifted her head out of the sink, shaking her wet locks.
- Pence was raised in an Irish Catholic family in Columbus, Ind.
- Christine Boutin was an MP from to and housing minister under right-wing president Nicolas Sarkozy from to
- Indeed, Gallagher only started speaking against gay marriage in , when, she says, she could no longer avoid it.
- In , as head of the Republican Study Committee, a group of the most-conservative House members, Pence rose in support of a constitutional amendment that would have defined marriage as between a man and a woman.
- After sundown on Friday, the White House celebrated the ruling by projecting rainbow-colored lights onto the house's exterior. As I think about all of this, I cannot avoid concluding, all over again, that there is a deep sickness in the Catholic psyche, in the Catholic soul, around issues of human sexuality.
- Passing police cars honked as people cheered and waved little blue flags with yellow equal signs. He has covered the AIDS epidemic since it first surfaced in the early s.
In , he opposed efforts to expand the definition of a hate crime to include the victim's sexual orientation, fearing that a pastor's sermon condemning gay sex could be considered hate speech. But knowing her to be intelligent and thoughtful can also be more exasperating for those who disagree with her.
Republican candidates slammed the decision, with reactions ranging from dire warnings about the future of religious liberty to calls for mutual respect. Marco Rubio said, "This decision short-circuits the political process that has been underway on the state level for years. Pence was a staunch opponent of gay rights during his 12 years in Congress.